Tuesday, August 09, 2005

Big Things

Now that the IRA has announced its move from death to democracy, a peaceful future for Northern Ireland may well be dawning.

To make lasting progress, though, everyone needs to move onto middle ground. Politically, culturally, socially. Instead of Orange and Green, we need an Irish "Third Way", and it's the big challenge of our generation. Are we up to it? Are you up to it?

Peace and social equality, when it comes, will be ushered in not by trumpets and press conferences but by politicians and ordinary folk shifting what they say and what they do.

This isn't rocket science. It's not academic psychology. It's about making lots of little steps to generate trust and respect, and it's not beyond any of us. And it means not living up to your stereotype.

I call it "doing Big Things", because we have to be big to do things differently.

As the NI peace process moves forward, We'll look at current events and some of the wider issues and highlight Big Things that people can do. Leave prejudice outside. Be prepared to be unconventional .

I want to acknowledge - right up front - my Protestant Christian beliefs and cultural identity. I extend goodwill to my Catholic fellow-countrymen and to those of other (or no) faith. We're all in this together.

Welcome, Fáilte.

7 Comments:

At 4:07 a.m., Blogger United Irelander said...

I like the content you've come up with so far. Very nice.

Keep up the good work!

 
At 12:43 p.m., Anonymous Anonymous said...

John, excellent blog. I'm glad more people are starting to see sense. I hope we can both make a difference - however small - to the way people in Northern Ireland live their lives.

Keep up the good work!

 
At 4:26 p.m., Anonymous Anonymous said...

Promising idea, I'll watch it with interest.

Thanks for the bloglink too by the way, I'll get on to linking back from EU when I get a moment.

 
At 11:27 a.m., Blogger B.U. said...

Thank you, JP.
No, not like the Women's Coalition. Not a political thing either. More an attitude towards each other. Good to have you here. BU.

 
At 8:14 p.m., Anonymous Anonymous said...

I am an Ulsterman living in England and find myself unable to express my identity as an Irishman and as a Briton. i find this blog refreshing. PS i was in Bangor two weekends ago and there was a tall ship in the harbour. and it was flying the tricolour and no-one appeared offended

 
At 11:40 a.m., Blogger B.U. said...

Anonymous Bangor vistor said there was a tall ship in the harbour. and it was flying the tricolour and no-one appeared offended.
If it was registered in Éire (or, if not big enough to require registration, its helmsman is an Éire citizen) the Irish tricolour is the right and proper flag for it to fly. A necessity under maritime law, not a political point!

 
At 12:06 a.m., Anonymous Anonymous said...

A third way is definitely needed. Good governance has never existed in Norn Irn. I wish these guys would get away from the name calling and get on with solving the problems in education, housing,health care and a million other things.
Good site, I shall be looking in again.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home