Thursday, March 22, 2007

Bob Kerr

I see Bob Kerr (r.), the former chairman of the Irish Cricket Union and founder of the North Fermanagh Cricket Club, has died suddenly in Jamaica while accompanying the Irish team on its successful tour.

Bob will be remembered by a lot of Co Fermanagh folk as ex-headmaster of Jones Memorial Primary School in Enniskillen, but my memories are of the indoor cricket practice he used to organise for young lads from both communities in the 1970's. Much as I enjoyed messing around in the nets at Enniskillen High School, the combined efforts of Bob and Frank Day never managed to make a cricketer out of me though.

Bob was a really nice man who'll be remembered kindly.

2 Comments:

At 3:07 p.m., Anonymous Anonymous said...

John

I am nearly sure that he is the "Mr Kerr" who taught me in primary school. He was indeed a good guy. RIP!

 
At 11:29 p.m., Anonymous Anonymous said...

Big man who, as kids, we loved a lot. Heard a while back he had retired and was trying to get in touch, to say thanks for all he did.

Guess I left it too late :.-(

 

Post a Comment

<< Home