Wednesday, November 21, 2007

Really, Darling!

Two CDs have gone missing while being couriered to London. Oops. Apparently these CDs contained the names, addresses, dates of birth and bank details of child benefit recipients, so naturally there's a public outcry. But get Alistair Darling's advice to Joe and Josephine Public:
 
1. The details will not be enough to enable fraudsters to access their accounts.
 
2. People should check their accounts for irregular activity.
 
Great logic! If fraudsters can't access my account why would any irregular activity be possible? But what Darling's doublespeak is saying, of course, is that fraudsters won't be able to call my bank up and find out my balance.  But he's NOT saying fraudsters can't buy stuff and make me pay. Subtle difference there.
 
So thank God for people like Alistair Darling. I may have to pick up the tab for a load of consumer electronics from Amazon, but no one but me will ever know I'm two grand in the red.

2 Comments:

At 1:32 p.m., Blogger O'Neill said...

Great stuff.
Having heard this, I can't wait until we move onto the ID card system.

 
At 10:54 a.m., Blogger Unknown said...

Its criminal that this was allowed to happen.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home