Wednesday, March 08, 2006

The real 'Love Ulster'

There was a very flattering comment on yesterday's post about this site reflecting something of God's love which they don't see in other places. No, don't leave yet, it's the most important thing you'll read today.
 
I hope that's true, because it's the main reason I started this blog, but I can't take any credit. That's because whatever 'love' or 'goodwill' etc that I have the privilege of passing on honestly doesn't come from me. I was a right pain in the nether regions before I gave all the mess over to God and decided to believe that Jesus was exactly who he said he was. And I - previously such a doubter and a cynic - have stayed convinced for 12 years, and counting. The goodwill that's there comes from God, not me, because I can assure you it wasn't there before!
 
And, lest I be misunderstood, this isn't a sectarian thing. I know many Catholics who know and love the Lord and who have helped me along the way.
 
And while we're on the subject, I'm convinced God wants to transform Ireland, that seed-bed of spiritual blessing to mainland Europe in the 1,000 years following St Patrick. I'm convinced he wants to see a revival of true faithfulness in churches, chapels, cathedrals and tin shacks from Malin Head to Mizen. And I'm convinced he wants to translate that into real social and political reform north, south, east and west. But most of all, he wants you and me.
 
None of this will happen through brow-beating or guilt trips. It won't happen by focusing on our problems alone, or by working hard on intricate solutions to worldly problems. It won't happen by people with fashion bypasses telling us the end of the world is nigh. It won't happen by simply attending church or mass. It'll happen as people just like you and me set down their guilt and their fears and ask Jesus to make them new, to take them forward from wherever they are. To everyone who asks, it happens. And, believe me, it's a whole new world. Thanks for reading this far.

1 Comments:

At 3:19 p.m., Anonymous Anonymous said...

Thanks John: That was interesting. I can't wait for tomorrows post

 

Post a Comment

<< Home