Thursday, March 29, 2007

Well would you believe it?

Not four weeks after I suggested it would be pretty far-out to have someone called "Sir Bono", guess what's happened? Yep, the U2 frontman has gone and been done-to at the British embassy in Dublin. Still, we can't call him "Sir Bono" of course because he's not a UK citizen, but what of it?

He said something I've been thinking for a few months now: "It does feel like this country and Great Britain are closer than they have ever been". If you live south of the border, do you agree?

"I wasn't even going to have a bit of a do ... but when I saw Big Ian sitting down there with Gerry Adams I just thought this is the end of an era, but the beginning of a much better one".

Well said.

3 Comments:

At 2:07 a.m., Blogger Chris Gaskin said...

but when I saw Big Ian sitting down there with Gerry Adams I just thought this is the end of an era

Obviously annoyed that he wasn't in the picture.

Never liked Bono despite the fact that I love U2 songs.

This just reinforces that dislike.

Each to his own however

 
At 8:09 p.m., Blogger United Irelander said...

"If you live south of the border, do you agree?"

Yeah Anglo-Irish relations have never been better. The rugby game at Croke Park was very significant I feel in strengthening ties.

It doesn't make sense now to be hostile towards Britain. Many of their population are either Irish or descended from Irish people. And look at the amount of Irish personalities that feature prominently over there - Terry Wogan, Graham Norton, Des Lynam, Craig Doyle etc.

Good times ahead me thinks.

 
At 7:33 p.m., Blogger The Phantom said...

I'd like Bono a lot better if he paid the same rate of taxes that others pay.

Or if he wants to take advantage of the artists' dodge, he should shut the hell up about the taxpayers of Ireland/UK/Rest of World have to pay for Africa and whatever else.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home