Monday, November 14, 2005

A sister of mercy

You'd think a 79-year-old nun would be safe on our streets, but she's not. This particular lady was mugged in Derry and had her handbag stolen along with a sum of money which was surely nowhere near enough for a fix.
 
Whatever you and I may think of the perpetrator, the victim said, "I feel a great sadness that young people like this boy have to resort to such violence ...". What a loving Christian response, focussing away from her own discomfort to the state of her attacker, also a victim. If a frail 79-year-old can be that Big, so can you and I.
 
I hope and pray she recovers well. Somehow I think she will.
 
Imagine what might happen if, the next time we come under attack socially or politically, we all just turn the other cheek and reach out in constructive friendship. It's not beyond any of us, and personally I'm going to do it today.

3 Comments:

At 12:17 p.m., Anonymous Anonymous said...

I'm not a turn the other cheek person. I'd be happy to see aforementioned youngster, caught, tied naked to a pole in Derry city center, heckled and abused for a solid week. Then i'd have someone kick the shit out of him. Then throw him into the Foyle. After that'd id consider turning the other cheek.

 
At 11:03 a.m., Anonymous Anonymous said...

Maca: I agree with your outrage but your sentiments are a little over the top. CRJs are not uniformly welcomed.

Id be happy to reconsider if he was only heckled and abused for six days, not the full week, Sunday is out.

 
At 7:07 p.m., Anonymous Anonymous said...

Ok, I think we can settle on that :)

 

Post a Comment

<< Home